Saturday 26 March 2016

Runny Mini Scotch Eggs....... perfect for Easter and picnics

Ok so I've been a bit rubbish typing my recipes up! Laura is putting me to shame. Last weekend we cooked up an Easter theme feast. We had such a laugh! 

I decided to feature egg in my starter..... Laura cooked chicken for main so the theme is 'Chicken and Egg'....... 

I decided to challenge myself and try something I haven't cooked before. If you stick to the timings and temperatures below then this is actually quite an easy recipe. I decided to use Quail eggs as hen eggs seemed a bit big for a starter. 

Ingredients

- Pack of Quails eggs
- Pack of lincolnshire sausages
- Egg
- Breadcrumbs


Method

- Boil the water in a pan
- Place the quails in a pan and cook for exactly 2 mins 15 seconds. Cook the eggs in batches of 4. 
- Place the eggs straight into a bowl of iced water to stop the eggs from continuing to cook. 
- Cut the ends of the sausages and squeeze out the sausage meat into a bowl. Mix together with a fork. 
- Deshell the eggs and sprinkle on a little flour. 
-  Create round balls with the sausage meat and coat the eggs. Make sure there are no gaps and the egg is fully covered. 
- roll in beaten egg and then roll on a plate of breadcrumbs. 

To cook

- I didn't have a deep fat fryer so I poured vegetable oil into a large heavy based pan. Turn on the heat and use a temperature probe to check the fat. When it reaches 180C, drop the scotch eggs into the pan - 4 at a time and cook for 4-5 mins. You may want to test 1 before cooking all of them. The time depends on how thick the meat coating is. When you've taken your test one out of the pan, stick the temperature probe in and make sure it reaches 82C. The meat should be cooked through and not pink. 

These were delicious and cooked to perfection! Any left over, place in the fridge and use on a picnic the next day. 

I served this with a fig and apple chutney. 

Enjoy..... and remember...... food tastes better with friends x 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...